How to Resolve a Student Grievance
Step 1 -- Contact the School: First try resolving the matter by talking to appropriate school staff.
School administrators and instructors want their students to be satisfied. Give them a fair chance to determine
an appropriate, workable solution that is fair to both you and the school. Quite often, a complaint is based
on a misunderstanding and all that you or the school needs from the other is a clarification or an explanation
of a policy, practice, or circumstance.
If you are unable to resolve the problem to your satisfaction on an informal basis, your next step is to notify
the school of your concern by taking the steps outlined in the school's Student Grievance Procedure which you
will find in the school's catalog.
If you believe that your concern has not been resolved appropriately, you may appeal to the Maryland Higher
Education Commission (MHEC).
Note: MHEC will investigate written complaints regarding matters which fall within its legal
authority. If MHEC determines that inquiry into the complaint issue is not an appropriate Commission
action, the student will receive written notification of this decision.
Return to top
Step 2 -- Submit Written Complaint to MHEC: If you are unsatisfied with a school's decision (action)
regarding your complaint, you may submit a written complaint to MHEC. Written complaints should be
mailed or faxed to MHEC and should include the information identified below.
MHEC Address and FAX Number:
Associate Director for
Private Career Schools
Planning and Academic Affairs
Maryland Higher Education Commission
6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
FAX: 410- 332-0270 Fax to: Attention, Associate Director
for Private Career Schools
Information to provide in the written complaint:
- Your name, address, and day-time telephone number.
- The name and address of the school.
- A clear description of the unresolved issue including
the following information:
- dates and timelines, and
- names and titles of school personnel involved.
- Copies of any documents to support your claim.
- Statement of the solution you are seeking.
- Your signature.
Return to top
Step 3 - Receive Notice of MHEC's Findings: Upon receipt of a written student complaint, MHEC will
follow the grievance procedures identified below. Note that the student and the school will be notified
of MHEC's findings after a review of the student's complaint and the school's response to the complaint.
MHEC's Procedure for Processing Student Grievances
1. MHEC will notify the school of the student's complaint by forwarding a copy of the written complaint to the
school director for review and comment.
2. The school (director) will be required to provide MHEC with a written response to the complaint within ten
(10) days of its receipt.
3. When necessary, MHEC will require the school and student to submit additional information.
4. The findings of MHEC's inquiry will be reported to the student and the school.
Return to top