Higher Education in Maryland
Financial Aid

> Sources of Information
> Apply for Financial Aid
> State Financial Aid Assistance
   Programs & Applications
> Paying for College
> MD CAPS (Student Inquiry)
> College Aid Calculator
> Publications & Resources
> Glossary of Terms

Career and Workforce Education
Press Room
Higher Education Accomplishments
Preparing for College
Online Services
For Students and Parents
> Financial Aid Applications
> Education Opportunities
> Academic Common Market
> Career Training
> MD CAPS (Student Inquiry)
> Advisor Tools
> Student Outreach Kit
> Veterans Benefits
> "Money for College" Events
> Student Guide to Transfer
> Guia para estudiantes (pdf)
For Counselors
>   Planning & Academic Affairs
> Colleges & Universities
> Education Search
> Academic Approval Process
> Programs Under Review
> Research
> Institutional Grants
> MD Fire-Rescue Education
> Career Training
For Counselors
>   Who We Are
> Contact Us
> Meetings
> State Plan for Higher Ed
> Office for Civil Rights Report 
> Advisory Council
Interagency Initiatives 
Base Realignment & Closure
Higher Education in Maryland


Who may apply: Current high school seniors and full-time and part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students.  Students attending a private career school may also apply.

How to apply:  Complete and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If your senator makes his/her own awards, you must call or write to your legislator for further instructions. The Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) can provide a list of all State legislators.

When to apply: Complete and file the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov by March 1. Contact your senator in February for further instructions.

Eligible majors: All majors are eligible.

You may use this scholarship at an out-of-state school if your major is not available at any Maryland institution and if your senator agrees.  In order to verify your major as unique, you must complete the Unique Major Application and submit it to MHEC with the required documentation. Allow 8 weeks for processing.


You and your parents (if you are a dependent student) must be Maryland residents. You must enroll at a two-year or four-year Maryland college or university, as a full-time or part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student, or attend certain private career schools.  Audited courses cannot be used to reach the minimum credit hours required for full-time or part-time status.  You must demonstrate financial need. You must take the SAT 1 or the ACT unless you graduated from high school five or more years ago; have earned 24 college credit hours; or are attending a community college or a private career school.


Some senators have OSFA make awards for them. These awards are made on the basis of financial need as demonstrated on the FAFSA.


The minimum annual award amount is $400 and the maximum award is $10,100. You may hold the Senatorial Scholarship with all State awards. The total dollar amount of all State awards may not exceed your cost of attendance as determined by your school’s financial aid office, or $19,000, whichever is less. Funds may not be available to award all eligible students.


If you received a renewable award, your award will be renewed automatically as long as you maintain satisfactory academic progress at the college you attend. Full-time students may receive a Senatorial Scholarship for total of four years. Part-time students may receive a Senatorial Scholarship for a total of eight years.


Download 2015-2016 Conditions of Award (PDF)

Download 2015-2016 Conditions of Award Renewal (PDF)

Help is available if you having a problem displaying PDF files.

If you do not know how to contact your state senator or delegates, go to www.mdelect.net or call the Board of Supervisors of Elections for your county:

  • Allegany County:                   (301) 777-5931 
  • Anne Arundel County:           (410) 222-6600
  • Baltimore County:                 (410) 887-5700
  • Baltimore City:                      (410) 396-5550
  • Calvert County:                     (410) 535-2214       
  • Caroline County:                   (410) 479-8145 
  • Carroll County:                      (410) 386-2080
  • Cecil County:                         (410) 996-5310
  • Charles County:                     (301) 934-8972  
  • Dorchester County:                (410) 228-2560
  • Frederick County:                  (301) 600-8683
  • Garrett County:                      (301) 334-6985
  • Harford County:                     (410) 638-3565
  • Howard County:                     (410) 313-5820
  • Kent County:                          (410) 778-0038
  • Montgomery County:              (240) 777-8500
  • Prince George's County:          (301) 430-8020
  • Queen Anne's County:             (410) 758-0832
  • St. Mary's County:                  (301) 475-7844
  • Somerset County:                   (410) 651-0767   
  • Talbot County:                        (410) 770-8099
  • Washington County:                (240) 313-2050
  • Wicomico County:                  (410) 548-4830
  • Worcester County:                 (410) 632-1320

Return to Program Description page

Hours of Operation:  Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM  |  Back to top  |  (PDF) Links require Adobe Acrobat Reader