State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) and Maryland Loan Assistance Repayment Program for Physicians (MLARP)
The Maryland Department of Health administers the State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) and the Maryland Loan Repayment Assistance Program (MLARP). The State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) is a federal program that requires a 1:1 match to Maryland Loan Assistance Repayment Program (MLARP). The MLARP program is a State of Maryland program. The SLRP provides educational loan repayment funds to physicians and physician assistants who must serve a 2 year obligation in a health professional shortage area (HPSA) or medically underserved area (MUA), either in primary care or mental health. The MLARP provides educational loan repayment funds to physicians, physician assistants, and medical residents who must serve a 2 year obligation in a HPSA or MUA or state designed health professional shortage area.
WHO MAY APPLY: Eligible physicians, physician assistants, and medical residents within their last year of residency.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete and file an application available from the Maryland Department of Health (MDH). Information and Application materials are available at the following Web link:
For more information,call (410) 767-6123 or email email@example.com
WHEN TO APPLY:
|Application Enrollment Opens: March 1
Application Deadline: April 15
Applicants MUST meet the following requirements:
- United States citizen or U.S. National;
- Medical degree and a valid unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Maryland at the time the service obligation begins;
- No existing or un-served service obligation with any other loan repayment program;
- Existing higher education loan debt and NOT be in default on any eligible higher education loan;
- have never violated court-ordered child support or been delinquent in child support payments;
- practice at an eligible practice site; and
- Other requirements as outlined in the eligibility criteria.
This award is not based on need.
Up to $50,000 per year for a 2-year obligation.
RENEWING AN AWARD
You may reapply for an award after completion of the first two year service obligation. A recipient’s total award amount cannot exceed $200,000, or two 2-year obligations at $50,000 per year.
You must sign and return a promissory note and service obligation agreeing to serve full-time as per loan repayment program guidelines and regulations.
Return to Program Description Page