The recipient of a career-based and or occupational grant/scholarship award is required to begin employment within the State of MD one year after degree completion, as outlined in the recipients signed promissory note. The recipient’s employment must be in an occupation directly related to the eligible program of study at the time the recipient accepted the award while enrolled at a post-secondary institution.
The recipient is required to verify their employment history on an annual basis until they have successfully fulfilled their service obligation. On an annual basis the recipient will report their employment history to MHEC by submitting an Annual Service Questionnaire provided to the student by the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
After the recipient completes and submits the Annual Service Questionnaire, the Office of Student Financial Assistance is required to verify the recipient’s employment history with their respective employer(s). It is the responsibility of the employing or contracting agency to certify on annually that the recipient is performing the service requirement in the manner prescribed.
All information pertaining to the recipient service obligation can be monitored online through their MDCAPS account. If you do not have a MDCAPS account, you can create one online at https://mdcaps.mhec.state.md.us/MDCAPS/login.aspx
Click here to download the Annual Service Questionnaire.
PHASED OUT PROGRAMS
The following career/occupational programs are no longer accepting new applications and have been phased out:
- Child Care Provider Scholarship (CCP)*
- Developmental Disabilities, Mental Health, Child Welfare, & Juvenile Justice Workforce Tuition Assistance Program (DEV-DIS)*
- Distinguished Scholar Teacher Education Award (DSTE)*
- HOPE General Scholarship
- Maryland Teacher Scholarship
- Science & Technology Scholarship
- Optometry Tuition Reduction Program Interstate Compact Pennsylvania College of Optometry/State of Maryland (PCO)
- Physical and Occupational Therapists and Assistants Grant Program (PTOT)*
- Sharon Christa McAuliffe Memorial Teacher Education Award (SCM)*
- William Donald Schaefer Scholarship*
* These programs have been consolidated into the Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant Program. All new awards made in this major or occupational fields will now be made under the Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant Program. Please visit our website for information on the WSSAG program and for program application information.
Recipients of the phased out programs must submit the annual service questionnaire until their service obligation has been completed.
Help is available if you are having a problem displaying PDF files.
Return to Program Description page