The Summer 2022 and 2022-2023 GEAR UP Scholarship (Fall 2022 and Spring 2023) Applications are now available.
Awards are made after federal Pell Grant, state aid, and other public or private aid (excluding loans and work-study) have been applied. Additionally, each application will be processed and verified following the drop/add period listed at the institution.
Awards will be made after the drop/add period.
Grant Applicant Eligibility: To receive a GEAR UP Scholarship, a student must:
1. have participated in GEAR UP activities at GEAR UP sites in Baltimore City, Dorchester, or Wicomico Counties during the grant period (2014-2020);
2. be a Maryland resident according to the institution’s state residency policy;
3. be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program of undergraduate instruction at an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher education, private career school, or state/regional accredited trade school/certificate program;
4. receive a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
5. be less than 22 years old at the time of the first scholarship award; and
6. maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the standards of the institution he/she is attending.
Please note: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( FAFSA ) and GEAR UP Scholarship Application must be filed to be considered for a GEAR UP Scholarship award. The FAFSA and GEAR UP Scholarship Application must be filed to be considered for a GEAR UP Scholarship award. Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov before March 1 each year.
Award Amount: The maximum GEAR UP Scholarship award is $8,000 for the fall and spring of the 2022-2023 academic year and $4,000 for summer 2022. Please note that the award amount will vary depending on the student’s financial need; however, the student’s award will not exceed the COA.
It is our mission to process and award the scholarships accurately and promptly. If a student is eligible for the GEAR UP Scholarship, they will be notified via the email listed on the application. If a student transfers or withdraws from the institution listed on the application, it is the responsibility of the student to notify MHEC immediately to avoid a delay in the processing of the award.
For Questions and technical assistance, please contact us at email@example.com.
2021-2022 Application - Summer 2022 (Due May 16, 2022)
2022-2023 Application – Fall 2022/Spring 2023 (Due June 20, 2022)
For more information on a GEAR UP supported program click on the program link listed below.