Awards are made after federal Pell Grant, state aid, and other public or private aid (excluding loans and work-study) have been applied. Additionally, each application will be processed and verified following the drop/add period listed at the institution.
Awards will be made after the drop/add period.
Grant Applicant Eligibility: To receive a GEAR UP Scholarship, a student must:
1. have participated in GEAR UP activities at GEAR UP sites in Baltimore City, Dorchester, or Wicomico Counties during the grant period (2014-2020);
2. be a Maryland resident according to the institution’s state residency policy;
3. be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program of undergraduate instruction at an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher education, private career school, or state/regional accredited trade school/certificate program;
4. receive a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
5. be less than 22 years old at the time of the first scholarship award; and
6. maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the standards of the institution he/she is attending.
Please note: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( FAFSA ) and GEAR UP Scholarship Application must be filed to be considered for a GEAR UP Scholarship award. The FAFSA and GEAR UP Scholarship Application must be filed to be considered for a GEAR UP Scholarship award. Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov before March 1 each year.
Award Amount: The maximum GEAR UP Scholarship award is $8,000 for the fall and spring of the 2022-2023 academic year and $4,000 for summer 2022. Please note that the award amount will vary depending on the student’s financial need; however, the student’s award will not exceed the COA.
It is our mission to process and award the scholarships accurately and promptly. If a student is eligible for the GEAR UP Scholarship, they will be notified via the email listed on the application. If a student transfers or withdraws from the institution listed on the application, it is the responsibility of the student to notify MHEC immediately to avoid a delay in the processing of the award.
For Questions and technical assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2022-2023 Application – Winter 2022 (Due December 19, 2022)
2022-2023 Application – Fall 2022/Spring 2023 (Due June 20, 2022)
For more information on a GEAR UP supported program click on the program link listed below.