The Summer 2021 and 2021-2022 GEAR UP Scholarship (Fall 2021 and Spring 2021) Applications are now available. Awards are made after federal Pell Grant, state aid, and other public or private aid (excluding loans and work-study) have been applied. Additionally, each application will be processed and verified following the drop/add period listed at the institution. Awards will be made after the drop/add period.
Grant Applicant Eligibility: To receive a GEAR
UP Scholarship, a student must:
1. Have participated in GEAR UP activities at GEAR UP sites in Baltimore City, Dorchester, or Wicomico Counties during the grant period (2014-2020);
2. Be a Maryland resident according to the institution’s state residency policy;
3. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program of undergraduate instruction at an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher education, private career school, or state/regional accredited trade school/certificate program;
4. Receive a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
5. Be less than 22 years old at the time of the first scholarship award; and
6. Maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the standards of the institution he/she is attending;
Please note: The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and GEAR UP Scholarship Application must be filed to be considered for a GEAR UP Scholarship award. Complete the FAFSA atThe FAFSA (Free Application for Federal
Student Aid) and GEAR UP Scholarship Application must be filed to be considered
for a GEAR UP Scholarship award. Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov before March 1 each year.
Award Amount: The maximum GEAR UP Scholarship award is $8,000 for the fall and spring of the 2021-2022 academic year and $4,000 for summer 2021. Please note that the award amount will vary depending on the student’s financial need; however, the student’s award will not exceed the COA.
It is our mission to process and award the scholarships accurately and promptly. If a student is eligible for the GEAR UP Scholarship, he/she will be notified via the email listed on the application. If a student transfers or withdraws from the institution listed on the application, it is the responsibility of the student to notify MHEC immediately to avoid a delay in the processing of the award.
For questions and technical
assistance, please contact us email@example.com.
2020-2021 Application - Summer 2021
(Due May 14, 2021)
2021-2022 Application – Fall
2021/Spring 2021 (Due June 18, 2021)
For more information on a GEAR UP supported program click on the program link listed below.
6 North Liberty Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 767-3300
Toll Free: (800) 974-0203 (If calling outside of the Baltimore City area)