Stratford University Closure in Baltimore, MD

MHEC is  currently working with Stratford University to gather information regarding the closure.

If you would like to receive email alerts when new information is

available, please use the link to submit your email address.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Closure

What is the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC)?

We are the governmental board that coordinates statewide policies for Maryland public and private colleges and universities, and for-profit career schools.  At MHEC, we are committed to helping students like you continue your postsecondary education in Maryland when a school closes.

Where can I continue my education?

MHEC is working with several institutions in Maryland to identify options for Stratford students to continue their education. We expect to have several institutions agree to transfer agreements so that your transfer is as smooth as possible.  These agreements will tell you which schools will accept your Stratford credits based on your program of study.  You will receive an email update when these transfer agreements have been finalized, and we will post regular updates to our website.  You, as a student, can choose whatever option works best for you.

How can I get my transcripts?

We are working to secure copies of your academic records.  It is our legal authority to obtain academic records from closed colleges and universities in Maryland.  As soon as we have received academic records for Maryland students, we will alert you and post a notification on our website.  

How can I get information about federal loan forgiveness?

Students can visit the US Department of Education's website for information on closed school and loan discharges. Additionally, students should contact their loan servicer to apply for loan discharge.

It is important for you, as a Stratford student, to decide to continue your education at another institution or to proceed with a federal loan discharge.  We encourage students to review the transfer agreements and review the US Department of Education's website on their federal loan discharge program for closed schools.

How can I get a refund?

Stratford students may be eligible for a refund through MHEC.  Information regarding refunds will be posted to our website as it becomes available.


For questions concerning student accounts, they can email

Students requesting an official transcript can email ​



Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information