An institution may not utilize distance education as a program modality unless the institution:
(1) As of January 1, 2018, offers at least one distance education program that has been approved by the Commission and that has received appropriate designation from the institutional accreditor; or
(2) Is designated by the Secretary, under COMAR 13B.02.03.22B, as an institution eligible to provide distance education.
Designation as an Institution Eligible to Provide Distance Education.
(3) An institution of higher education operating in the State that is required
to have a certificate of approval from the Commission under
COMAR13.02.01 or 13B.02.02 may request that the Secretary designate the
institution as eligible to provide distance education.
(4) An institution desiring to be designated as eligible to provide distance education
shall submit an application to the Secretary, using this form, that:
(i) Distance education is consistent with the institution's mission;
(ii) Institutional resources and the source of funds to support distance education are sufficient;
(iii) Academic oversight, quality control, and student services to be
provided shall be sufficient to provide distance education;
(iv) Student supports, including but not limited to technical support, learning resources such as library resources,
student support services such as disability services, and student
services such as financial aid, academic advising, and career planning,
shall be sufficient to support students enrolled in distance education;
(v) Faculty supports shall provide for best practices and pedagogy in distance education; and
(i) A list of intended programs to be offered as distance education;
(ii) An affirmation that a program's curriculum and objectives shall be coherent, cohesive, and comparable
regardless of program modality;
(iii) A signed statement from the President of the institution that the
institution shall comply with the C-RAC guidelines; and
(iv) Any complimentary materials submitted to the institutional accreditor for approval to offer distance education.
An institution offering distance education shall comply with the C-RAC guidelines.
Change in Program Modality COMAR 13B.02.03.29
An institution that has received approval to operate a program may add, change, suspend, or discontinue a program modality if the institution provides advance notice to the Commission in accordance with COMAR 13B.02.03.29B.
In addtion to the coversheet, an institution's notice to the Commission shall include:
(1) The name and degree of the program;
(2) The HEGIS and CIP code of the program;
(3) A description of and rationale for, the addition, change, suspension, or discontinuation of program modality;
(4) An affirmation that the program's most recently approved curriculum and
objectives are coherent, cohesive, and comparable, regardless of program modality;
(5) The planned implementation date of the addition, change, suspension, or
discontinuation of program modality; and
(6) For any suspension or discontinuation of a program modality:
(a) The number of students enrolled in the program who are using that
program modality and their expected graduation dates; and
(b) A plan that covers each of the students using the program 's modality to
(i) The student's time to completion of the program is not increased; and
(ii) Students and faculty continue to have access to course material, student services, and
academic support for the duration of the program.
6 North Liberty Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 767-3300
Toll Free: (800) 974-0203 (If calling outside of the Baltimore City area)