Student Complaint Process
- A student must first exhaust the complaint/grievance procedures established by the institution.
- Should the opinion of the student be that the complaint has not been resolved appropriately by the institution, the student may submit the complaint to the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).
- Specific types of complaints are handled by different agencies or organizations. A student must submit a complaint to the appropriate agency or organization as described below:
- A complaint pertaining to occupational licensure requirements is to be submitted to the appropriate licensing board or entity. Licensing board contact information is found in the institution’s catalog.
- A complaint concerning compliance with the standards of accreditation is to be submitted to the institution's accrediting body. Accrediting body contact information is found in the institution’s catalog.
- A complaint pertaining to potential violations of consumer protection is to be submitted to:
Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
200 Saint Paul Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
More information is available at:
- A complaint concerning discrimination is to be submitted to:
Office for Civil Rights, Philadelphia Office
U.S. Department of Education
100 Penn Square East, Suite 515
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3323
More information is available at:
- Complaints involving alleged violations of the Education Article or the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) Title 13B Maryland Higher Education Commission, or a Private Career School’s own written institutional policies, may be submitted to MHEC in the following manner: Student Complaint Portal
- A student may submit a complaint to MHEC when it involves an alleged violation of the Education Article, COMAR, or school policy, but only after the student has first exhausted the complaint/grievance procedures established by the institution. You can complete the Student Complaint Form (for private career schools only) and email it as
one scanned attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Within 5 business days of receipt of a complaint, MHEC will acknowledge its receipt and begin investigating for evidence of violation of the Education Article, COMAR, or school policy.
- A copy of the student complaint and documents will be provided to the institution's Director. MHEC will require the Director to look into the matter and report back to MHEC within 10 business days of receipt of MHEC notification.
- Any requests by MHEC to the school or the student complainant for information or documents necessary for MHEC to achieve a determination of the complaint must be answered by the school or the student complainant within 10 business days following receipt of MHEC's request.
- MHEC staff may interview the institution's employees, students, or the student complainant as part of its investigation.
- MHEC may take regulatory action based on its review and in accordance with the Education Article and COMAR Title 13B, and the manner for which the institution is approved to operate.
- MHEC will inform the student complainant and the school Director in writing of its determination(s).
- A complaint pertaining to matters other than those addressed in the Education Article or COMAR Title 13B, or pertaining to the institution's approved policies, will not be entertained by MHEC, nor will it be referred to another agency or organization.