Near Completer Grant Information
Near Completer Grant provides financial assistance to Maryland residents who
previously enrolled in a degree program, but did not complete it, and now plan
to re-enroll to earn their degree.
How do I Apply?
The 2022-2023 Near Completer Grant application is now available through the Maryland College Aid Processing System (MDCAPS) :
- Log into MDCAPS to complete the online application
- After completing the application use the Electronic File Upload Tool to submit the required transcripts from your previous institution.
Transcripts must reflect the required credits and minimum cumulative GPA:
- To complete your associate degree, submit a copy of your transcript/transcripts showing that you have completed at least 45 credit hours
- To complete your bachelor's degree, attach a copy of your transcript/transcripts showing that you have completed at least 90 credit hours
While the FAFSA or MSFAA application is not a requirement for the Near Completer Grant Program, students are encouraged to complete a FAFSA or MSFAA by March 1 for consideration of both federal and other state financial aid programs.
To complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online or submit the Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA) online through MDCAPS for any applicant who is ineligible to receive federal aid but is eligible for in-state tuition.
The applicant must have previously attended a community college and:
- earned at least 45 credit hours;
- has a minimum grade point average of 2.0;
- must be a Maryland resident who is eligible for in-state tuition; and
- is not currently enrolled at a post-secondary institution.
The applicant must have previously attended a senior higher education institution and:
- earned at least 90 credits-towards a bachelor's degree
- has a minimum grade point average of 2.0
- must be a Maryland resident who is eligible for in state tuition
- is not currently enrolled at a post-secondary institution
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Will all eligible applicants receive the award? Eligible near completers are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Can the award be used for books or course fees? The award is applied towards tuition only, after all non-loan aid has been applied.
- How much is the award? A near completer who re-enrolls for the 2022-2023 academic year at a community college will be eligible for up to one-third of the in-county tuition charge. Near completers who re-enroll in a Public four-year institution will be eligible for up to one-third of the (in-state) undergraduate tuition charge.
- What school can I attend? This program is open to Maryland community colleges and public 4-year institutions of higher education.
- What will I need to re-enroll? Contact the institution directly to identify what is needed for you to re-enroll.