Title IX Campus Sexual Assault Proceedings
Pursuant to Education Article §11-601, the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) maintains a list of attorneys (also known as lawyers) willing to represent students in Title IX Campus Sexual Assault Proceedings pro bono or at reduced fees.
Regulations regarding this list are here.
Please contact us at TitleIXproceedings.email@example.com for further assistance.
Policies and Procedures
Information For Students
Here is a list of attorneys (also known as lawyers) you may contact to find representation for a Title IX proceeding you are involved in. The attorneys on this list are limited to charging $100 per hour for their services and these fees may be paid by MHEC upon application by the attorney. Every attorney on this list has attended training on representing students in Title IX proceedings. It is in an attorney’s discretion as to whether they agree to represent you, subject to their availability. If they agree, you will need to sign a retainer agreement (contract) with the attorney. If they do not agree, you can contact other attorneys on the list. You are not guaranteed an attorney from this list.
MHEC does not recommend or endorse any attorney, law firm, or legal services agency on this list.
Per COMAR 13B.09.01.06, MHEC is not liable for any acts or omissions of the attorney, the law firm, or the legal services agency. If you have a complaint about your attorney, please contact the Attorney Grievance Commission. Information on the Attorney Grievance Commission, including instructions on filing a complaint, is available here.
Information For Institutions of Higher Education
Please include this website address in your notification to students of their right to have an attorney present: https://mhec.maryland.gov/Pages/Title-IX-Campus-Sexual-Assault-Proceedings---Attorney-List.aspx
Information For Attorneys
Attorneys must register with MHEC to become listed. Attorneys must complete and submit the MHEC Title IX Legal Representation List Registration Form.pdf
Note: Being on the list does not automatically qualify an attorney, law firm, or legal services agency for payment or guarantee reimbursement. Any attorney, law firm, or legal services agency seeking reimbursement must complete and submit a fee request form (please check back later for this form).
Eligibility Requirements To Be On the List
Any attorney seeking to be included on the list must:
1. Be a licensed attorney in good standing before the Court of Appeals of Maryland;
2. Have malpractice insurance sufficient to cover representation in a Title IX proceeding;
3. Attend a training of at least 5 hours, that includes training on trauma-informed representation, provided by the Maryland State Bar Association; a county bar association or the Bar Association of Baltimore City; or an organization funded by the Maryland Legal Services Corporation (MLSC); and,
4. Complete and submit the MHEC Title IX Legal Representation List Registration Form.pdf.
Requirements to Maintain Eligibility
In order to maintain eligibility, an attorney must:
1. Keep their contact information updated with MHEC;
2. Take at least one case each academic year; and,
3. Treat all parties involved in the Title IX process with respect and dignity.
Training Information -TBD
For more information on the training and registration, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This website was last updated on December 13, 2021.