ITT Educational Services, Inc. Closure Information for Maryland Residents

ITT Educational Services, Inc. discontinued all academic operations as of September 6, including two locations in Maryland (7030 Dorsey Road, Suite 100, Hanover, MD 21076; 11301 Red Run Blvd, Owings Mills, MD 21117). The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) is working closely with students, ITT headquarters in Indianapolis, IN, the US Department of Education (USDOE), and Maryland institutions of higher education to support Maryland students through this transition. MHEC is working to identify processes for students to obtain records, as well as teach-out and transfer options within the state.

On September 16, 2016, ITT filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana. Please see information regarding the bankruptcy, including information on how students and other creditors may file proofs of claim. The deadline to file a proof of claim with the bankruptcy court is January 30, 2017.

​​Over the next few weeks, MHEC will post information here about access to records/transcripts, and transfer options for students. Students can sign up to receive email alerts regarding specific information about records and transfer options by emailing with the subject line "SUBSCRIBE."  Students are encouraged to check this web page regularly for up-to-date information specific to Maryland.

Transfer Agreements with Maryland Institutions

Several institutions in Maryland have made a commitment to transfer ITT credit into specific academic programs. Students are encouraged to review these agreements. This list is expected to expand over the next few weeks, and students are encouraged to return to the website for updates. Additionally, students can subscribe to our email listserv by sending an email to with the subject line "SUBSCRIBE" to receive updates about additional transfer agreements.

An ITT student has a choice to either (1) seek federal student loan forgiveness through the U.S. Department of Education or (2) transfer ITT credits/coursework into a comparable program at another institution.  An ITT student cannot do both.

Transfer Agreements:

Anne Arundel Community College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Tara Carew 410-777-2146

Baltimore City Community College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Dr. Tonja L. Ringgold 410-462-8001

Capitol Technology University Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Helen Gail Barker 240-965-2485

Carroll Community College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Laurie M. Shields 410-386-8440
Community College of Baltimore County Transfer Agreement

Frederick Community College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Marsh Mason-Sowell 301-846-2475
Hagerstown Community College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Beth Lopez 240-500-2637

Mount St. Mary's University Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Mary Catherine James, Sr. 301-447-5026

Prince George's Community College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Office of Recruitment and Admissions 301-546-0866

Sheffield Institute for the Recording Arts Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Josh Scarff​ 410-628-7260

University of Maryland University College Transfer Agreement
ITT Student Transfer Contact: Lisa Henkel​ 855-655-8682

Open Houses

Recently, area community colleges held ITT Technical student open houses to explain options about credit transfer agreements, credit for prior learning and veteran experience, teach-out agreements and other opportunities for students to reach their educational and career goals.  To explore information shared at the open houses, links are below for your convenience.

For more information about open houses:
Anne Arundel Community College Open House
Baltimore City Community College Open House
Carroll Community College Open House
Community College of Baltimore County Open House
Prince George's Community College Open House

Students are also encouraged to visit the U.S. Department of Education website for more information.

Students using VA Education Benefits:

Students using VA Education Benefits should contact the Maryland State Approving Agency for details regarding transferring GI Bill® benefits and ensuring program approval for the use of VA Education Benefits. Veterans with specific inquiries may call 1-800-974-0203 or send an email to:

Please note:  In order to continue your education using your Title 38 educational benefits, you must be enrolled in a qualified program or educational institution.

Visit the GI Bill® Comparison Tool for assistance in selecting an alternate program or school. You can also find research information regarding school tuition and fees, basic housing allowance rates, graduation statistics, and loan default rates.

You can find a complete list of qualified programs and schools on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

For Further Assistance:
- Visit the GI Bill® website to access education benefit information.
- All questions regarding eligibility and payment of GI Bill benefits must be directed to USDVA at 1-888-GIBILL1.
- Complaints regarding a specific school or program should be directed to USDVA.

Frequently Asked Questions for ITT Students

1.  Where can I continue my education?

MHEC is working with several institutions in Maryland to identify options for ITT students to continue their education. MHEC will post regular updates to this web page for students on teach-out and transfer options. Please sign up for email alerts (email: with the subject line "SUBSCRIBE") to receive the most up-to-date information.

2.  How can I get my transcripts and other student records?

​​​To request a transcript or a copy of student records from a closed postsecondary school, download, complete, sign, and submit the Transcript Request Form to the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Please allow 20 business days to complete all requests.  The Maryland Higher Education Fax number is  410-332-0270.

To obtain an official transcript, contact the Parchment website​. Parchment is a company that will provide you with your official ITT transcript for a fee (of approximately $12.00 to $15.00). For other student records (not including official transcripts), you may contact GRM Records Management,, which (for a fee of approximately $23.00), will provide you with any physical student records that ITT maintained regarding your ITT studies. In addition, the trustee in ITT's bankruptcy case has filed a notice to students regarding access to transcripts. MHEC is endeavoring to require ITT's estate to provide student records to MHEC, so that students may access those records free of charge without having to pay fees to Parchment or to GRM. The matter is pending in the bankruptcy court.

3.  How can I get information about loan forgiveness?

Visit the USDOE website on closed school loan discharges for more information. Additionally, students should contact their loan servicer to apply for loan discharge.

4.  Who can I talk to?

Students are welcome to contact MHEC via email ( or telephone (1-800-974-0203) with specific questions related to ITT's closure. In addition to reaching out to MHEC, students can also visit Next Steps EDU to receive advising from a network of colleges and financial aid advisors supported by the U. S. Department of Education.

5.  ITT owes me a refund, or I have a claim against ITT.  What should I do?

You may wish to file a proof of claim in ITT's pending bankruptcy case. Please view instructions regarding filing a proof of claim and proof of claim forms and detailed instructions. The deadline to file a proof of claim with the bankruptcy court is January 30, 2017.